Construction of the Afsluitdijk started in 1927. For this, workers were hired from all over the country, including many Catholics. There was no Catholic church in Den Oever. Then the employees asked whether a Catholic church could also be built in Den Oever. The Chapel was a gift from the MUZ (Society for the Implementation of Zuiderzee Works) and served as a Catholic church.
The Chapel
Nearby locations
-
B&B De Gest
- Location
- Den Oever
Studio Gest is located in a former warehouse and has its own entrance and consists of a large, high living room of approx 60m2 with underfloor heating. The studio has a private terrace and can accommodate two persons. Possibly there may be a bed or cot to be put. The studio is suitable for those seeking tranquility, business people, bird watchers, cyclists, walkers and parents with young children. You can relax but also work quietly. The studio is equipped with shower and toilet, a kitchen and coffee maker. There is a TV and free Wi-Fi. 2 bikes are at your disposal.
-
Seal Tour SWRW
- Location
- Den oever
A 2,5 hour tour that begins in harbor of Den Oever (Oostkade) and goes along the sluice at the beginning of the Dam, then along to the tidal banks where different species of birds are foraging and resting. After about half an hour we reach the seals. You can admire them in their natural setting.
-
Stevinsluizen
- Location
- Den Oever
There are two lock complexes in the Afsluitdijk: the Lorentz locks on the Frisian side at Kornwerderzand and the Stevinsluizen at Den Oever. The complexes consist of locks, which allow ships to navigate back and forth between the IJsselmeer and Waddenzee, and discharge locks, which discharge excess IJsselmeer water into the Waddenzee at low tide.
-
Foundation for Shelter Nautical Heritage Wieringen (ONEW)
- Location
- Den Oever
At the Historical Corner of the Vissershaven in Den Oever, next to the water level house from 1919, is a workshop and meeting space. This building serves to support the activities around the ships berthed in the Historical Corner.
-
discover ‘hidden’ Waddeneiland Wieringen
- Location
- Den Oever
Walking route of Landscape North Holland. Wieringen is a "hidden" Wadden Island full of traces of the last ice age. Due to the closure of the Amsteldiep in 1924, the construction of the Afsluitdijk and the Wieringermeerpolder, Wieringen became part of the Noordkop. But it is still full of hidden stories, old villages, height differences, hollow roads, extensive meadows. Incidentally, the dog is allowed on a lead.
-
De Wierdijk
- Location
- Den Oever
-
B&B Den Oever
- Location
- Den Oever
-
Wieringer Skuutje WR60
- Location
- Den oever
The Wieringer Skuutje WR60, built in 1840, is the oldest sailing fishing vessel in the Netherlands and owned by the Skuutje WR60 Foundation. The Skuutje is registered as a sailing monument in the Register of Sailing Heritage Netherlands (RVEN).
-
Magazijnen – Gesterweg 22
- Location
- Den Oever
The four storage sheds on Gesterweg were built in 1937 as a warehouse for Stelling Den Oever and were used as a mobilization complex during the Cold War.