The gas fitters house was built in 1913, the adjacent joint gas company of the municipalities of Winkel and Niedorp. Gas fitter is the name for a professional who installs and maintains gas pipes. The joint gas company of the municipalities of Winkel and Nieuwe Niedorp was established by council decision of 5 June 1912. Archives show that in 1933 a condenser (right on the purification house) was placed on the site of the gasworks for gas purification. The director of the gas factory, Y. Meijer, is on the far right of the photo. In addition, from left to right: C. Deinum, C. Koster, Aafje Korver and Eefje Meijer (the director’s daughter). Since the factory did not yield the expected benefits in the following years, the transfer to the municipality of Alkmaar took place. This happened on the council decision of August 27, 1937 and an act of rectification on December 12, 1938. In preparation for this transfer, the municipal councils of Winkel and Nieuwe Niedorp already took a decision in 1937 about a redundancy pay scheme. This arrangement ensured that the staff of the communal gas plant could count on redundancy pay in the event of an honorable discharge. The money was intended to cover the period in a search for a new job. In the archive documents, the functions are described as follows: fitter, stoker, field worker, meter reader-collector and clerk. The amount was determined by length of service and whether he was the breadwinner of a family. With the arrival of natural gas, the gas holders had become superfluous. These were demolished in 1968. In the years that followed, the distillery and the director’s house with office were demolished. In 1974/1975, 20 homes were built on the site of the former gas factory. The gas fitters house is the only one that has been preserved and is a tangible reminder of the gas factory in Nieuwe Niedorp. The building has no monumental status. Sources – Archive municipality of Hollands Kroon – Alkmaar Regional Archives: www.regionaalarchiefalkmaar.nl
Gasfitterswoning
Nearby locations
-
Westermolen
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
This North Holland polder mill was built in 1854.
-
Bungalowpark De Rijd
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
-
Swimming pool De Rijd
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
Outdoor swimming pool De Rijd is located in Nieuwe Niedorp.
-
The Grandmother age and Motorsmuseum
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
The Grandmother and Motorsmuseum is a museum that exhibits all sorts of grandmother and antique motifs. There are almost 300 engines to visit. In addition, you can enjoy old fire trucks, Ford's 1948 tractor and admire a ballast Nedam roll from 1927. On the huge upper floor you can see all kinds of authentic shops, including: Hats, Hairdresser, Grocery, Clothing and many other things from grandmother.
-
Hervormde Kerk
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
After the crucifixion was demolished, the foundation stone was laid in June 1876 by Reverend A.C.H. turkey.
-
Voormalige wagenmakerij – Dorpsstraat 121
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
In de voormalige wagenmakerij is de werkplaats nog steeds intact met een werkende draaibank aangedreven door een elektromotor met riemen.
-
Dorpstraat 217
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
A mansion from 1830 in the ribbon village of Nieuwe Niedorp.
-
Landhoofden in Nieuwe Niedorp van de tramlijn Wognum – Schagen
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp
De historische landhoofden zijn een tastbare herinnering aan de trambrug voor de oversteek over de Langereis. Vanaf 30 oktober 1898 werd de brug gebruikt door de stoomtram van Schagen naar Wognum. Het traject was 23 kilometer lang en duurde 70 minuten. De tram vervoerde personen maar ook vele goederen voor de veiling in Winkel en de gasfabriek in Nieuwe Niedorp. Na de komst van busverbindingen en vrachtwagens werd op 31 januari 1930 de tramlijn gesloten.
-
Noordelijk Ballonvaart Centrum
- Location
- Nieuwe Niedorp