Ontmoetingskerk | Open Monumentendagen

Ontmoetingskerk | Open Monumentendagen

A recognizable landmark in Julianadorp

The Ontmoetingskerk has been a permanent fixture of Julianadorp since 1909. On October 8 of that year, Mr. Pieter Loopuyt laid the foundation stone. He was the man behind the Partnership that aimed to make the Koegras polder habitable. That same Partnership provided the land on which the church was built. Local contractors Jan Smit and Jan de Graaf executed the design by architect HG Th. Mann. To this day, the church stands firmly in the heart of the village.

Chagall exhibition

Chagall’s work comes to life during an exhibition featuring colorful nature images, stage curtains, costumes, lithographs, and etchings from nearly seventy years of artistic practice. In the Ontmoetingskerk, the stained-glass window connects to this with a story about light, the Lange Jaap, and the sea. In Julianadorp, this light transforms into tulips, depicting the cycle from bulb to flower as well as that of the Bible stories throughout the year.

A familiar sound, every Sunday morning

The small wooden tower of the church stands out immediately. Clad in lead, with a rooster as a weather vane and large clock faces, it is a landmark for many. Every Sunday morning, the bell rings, rung by the sexton. This sound carries far beyond the village. The current bell replaces the original, which was removed by the occupiers in 1943. Yet, the familiar sound of the bell still rings just as powerfully as it did in the past.

Opening hours

  1. Saturday, September 12, 10:00 – 16:00
  2. Sunday, September 13 , 12:00 – 16:00

Background information

  1. Type of monument: Public building
  2. Original function: Church
  3. Construction period: 1909
  4. Current function: Church
  5. Monument status: Municipal monument
Map of Ontmoetingskerk | Open Monumentendagen